MATISSE' SEQUENCE OF STEPS FOR PAINTING A WOMAN'S FACE
The face-drawing process has eight steps:
- STEP 1: First draw the hair, light colored within the background, in such a way that within the space formed by the hair, you indirectly create the shape of the face.
- STEP 2: Expand the face and correct its shape.
- STEP 3: Put in the position of the nose-eyes figure in such a way as to make the cheeks and forehead positive spaces which give the face its distinctive personality.
- STEP 4: Correct the eyes and nose to make their overall position, shape and proportion (of cheeks, cheekbones, and forehead) have the right shape exactly to convey the character of the face.
- STEP 5: Draw the mouth, so that its length is right, and to make the space below (chin) and space between mouth and the spaces at each end of the lips (between lips and edge of face) have the right size, shape, and position.
- STEP 6: Draw the hair ringlets, in a darker color now, to surround the face and complement its character in the right way.
- STEP 7: Correct the mouth to the right shape, and expression, exactly.
- STEP 8: Reconstruct the expression of the eyes—eyelids, eyebrows, and lower part of the eye.